by David DeMullé
Firefighters responding to a fire along the 10600 block of Wilsey Avenue at approximately 12:45 a.m. discovered approximately 200 marijuana plants in a detached guest house. The fire is believed to have been started by an overloaded electrical system. Owing to the toxic fumes, firefighters wore air bottles while fighting the fire.
“The whole house and garage were converted into a marijuana grow,” explained LAPD Sgt. Frank Alfrez, watch commander at the LAPD’s Foothill Division. “There were about 200 plants on the property and they had a whole set-up with lights there inside the house and converted garage.”
It took more than 45 minutes for fire crews to knock down the blaze. They alerted the LAPD around 1:20 a.m.
Investigators say the son of the property owner was home at the time of the fire but fled before firefighters arrived. LAPD Sgt. Frank Alfrez says the marijuana plants were discovered in the garage and inside the adjacent house. Police believe the resident was extracting honey oil. The property owner arrived later in the morning to look at the damage to his house. He was not held. An investigation is ongoing. No arrests have been made.